This Hearty Chicken-Vegetable Stew will warm your soul on a cold winter’s day.
A few weeks ago, just about everyone I knew seemed to be sick. My husband and my mother-in-law were in competition to see who could feel the worse. I told them that I was going to come up with a new recipe that would cure all of their ailments. It took a trip to the doctor for both of them to accomplish that, but this Hearty Chicken–Vegetable Stew was something they enjoyed eating.
I started by cutting some boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins into bite sized cubes. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven, and brown the chicken.
Sprinkle some flour over chicken to make a thickening. Stir in chicken broth.
Season the celery, carrots, onions and potatoes and add to pot.
Simmer until all veggies are tender.
Stir in frozen peas and a can of white cannellini beans.
I made the stew a few hours earlier than we needed it to allow the flavors to blend. Heat over a low heat, stirring frequently prior to serving.
This is a thick, hearty stew and a great addition to your wintertime menus. Serve with warm biscuits or crusty bread.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 4 cups chicken tenderloins (or skinless breast) cut in bite size cubes
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3-4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup potatoes, peeled and cut in bite size cubes
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 can (15.5oz) white cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat oil and butter in a large dutch oven, over a medium heat. When butter is melted, add the chicken. Season with a third of the salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle flour over the chicken and cook until combined, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Begin with 3 cups and add more later if too thick.
- Season the celery, carrots, onions, and potatoes with one third of the seasonings. Stir into the chicken broth, and bring to a low boil. Reduce to low simmer and cook. uncovered, about 25-30 minutes, stirring frequently. If broth is too thick, add remaining cup of broth.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cannellini beans. Check seasonings and add remaining salt, pepper and garlic salt if needed. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- May serve now, or allow to set for flavors to blend. Reheat over low heat. Serves 6
Have a nice day and I hope enjoy this Hearty Chicken-Vegetable Stew.