These Chicken Bacon Caprese Bites are the perfect appetizer to add to your tailgate or football party menu.
Football season has officially began and this calls for lots of tailgate and finger food recipes. We love to watch high school, college and NFL games. I serve the usual dips, subs, pepperoni rolls, cheese tray and chili, but I like to try new recipes also. I had leftover rotisserie chicken one day and developed these Chicken Bacon Caprese Bites.
I used rotisserie chicken from the deli but you could use a can of chicken breast or cooked chicken. These are best served warm so they would be better at a party where they are served soon after baking instead of packing and taking to a stadium.
Assemble the ingredients.
Combine the tomatoes, basil and vinegar.
Mix cream cheese and spices.
Stir in chicken and bacon.
Cut into 24 squares. Press a square into each cup of mini muffin pan.
Add chicken filling.
Top with cheese.
Remove from pan and place on a cooling rack.
Top with tomato-basil topping.
Arrange on serving platter. Serve warm.
- 2 Roma tomatoes (or 24 cherry) diced
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, from jar
- 8 medium basil leaves, chopped
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup cooked chicken, diced (rotisserie from deli is best)
- 1 can refrigerated crescent dough sheet
- 1/3- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 24 mini-muffin cup pan with no stick cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, place the tomatoes, vinegar, salt, garlic and basil leaves. Toss gently to combine and set aside.
- In a medium size bowl, using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and Italian seasoning. Stir in the bacon and chicken.
- Open crescent dough sheet and unroll onto a flat work surface. Press into about a 12 x 9 inch rectangle. Using a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut 24 even squares. Press each square into the bottom and up sides of a muffin cup.
- Spoon even amounts of the cream cheese-chicken mixture into each cup. (About 1 heaping teaspoon each.)
- Top each with equal amounts of the cheese. (About 1/2 teaspoon each). Press cheese down slightly into cream cheese mixture.
- Bake about 14 minutes or until dough cups are light golden brown. Remove from oven to a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove each dough cup with a knife and place on cooling rack.
- Top with 1 teaspoon of the tomato-basil mixture and then arrange on serving trays.
- Serve warm. Yields 24 appetizer cups.