We all love to make and eat the famous hash brown casserole. Here are some ideas that I came up with to add some variety to it. You
may even want to try one for Memorial Day.
One of my stand-by covered dishes to take to a cook-out is the basic hash brown casserole. No matter what I else I make, I always take this. Last week, I decided to see what ingredients I could add, and
change it up a little.
First, here is the basic recipe that is published in every church cookbook. I like to use the potatoes o’ brien because they include the peppers and onions already in them.
- 2 lb bag frozen Potatoes O Brien
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with no stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, place the potatoes, butter, onions, salt, pepper, soup, sour cream and half of the cheese. Stir to combine ingredients well, with a large wooden spoon.
- Spoon ingredients into prepared pan, spread evenly. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until mixture is bubbly and potatoes are tender.
Combine the potatoes, butter, cheese, sour cream, salt & pepper, and cream of chicken soup in a large bowl.
Spread into a baking dish. I save some of the cheese to spread on the top. Bake.
For my first variation, I added 2 cups of ham cubes to the basic hash brown casserole. This was delicious. I frequently add ham to my
homemade scalloped potatoes that I make with russet potatoes.
Spread in a baking dish. Love these disposable, aluminum pans when you are taking them to an outside party. No clean up and no
worrying about getting your dish back.
Top with part of the cheese and bake.
Creamy, melted cheese, and delicious.
SOUTHWEST HASBROWN CASSEROLE was my next idea.
Here are the ingredients that I used for this dish. I did not use the cream of chicken soup in this recipe.
Combine ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Spread into baking dish. Top with part of the cheese and jalapeno slices. Bake.
This casserole was my husband’s favorite. I decided that using a whole pound of sausage, as I did, made it seem more like a one
dish meal. I would use a half pound of sausage in the future if it is being served as a side dish.
RECIPE: (My system will not let me add a 2nd printable recipe on
here but use the directions as above for original hash brown
1 lb spicy ground sausage. Brown and crumble, drain grease.
Place the sausage in a large bowl. Add 1 can Rotel, 2 LB bag frozen
Potatoes O Brien, 1 stick melted butter, onions, salt, pepper, 1 1/2 cups sour cream, and 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Spread in pan. Top with 1/4 cup jalapeno slices and 1 cup cheese. Bake as
The original hash brown recipe is perfect but we enjoyed these for a