This recipe for Garden Fresh Tomato Bacon Tart sure gets me in the mood for summer.
We are now having warm weather here, but no fresh tomatoes yet. I created this recipe last summer and must have forgotten about it. These were the best tomatoes from a local vegetable stand, and I had so many of them. I had never eaten or made a tomato tart but this recipe for
Garden Fresh Tomato Bacon Tart was so good.
This was such an easy recipe and could be served as a light lunch, an appetizer, or a side dish.
I used a Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust for the base, and prepared it in my tart pan with removable bottom.
Spread the chive and onion cream cheese in the bottom of crust.
Top with part of the fontina cheese.
Arrange tomato slices in an overlapping, circular pattern.
Season the tomatoes with garlic salt and pepper.
Arrange bacon over the tomatoes and top with remaining cheese.
Bake. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before removing sides of the pan.
- 1 (9-inch) Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
- 1/4 cup chive & onion cream cheese
- 1 cup shaved fontina cheese
- 2-3 ripe but firm tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Allow pie crust to come to room temperature. Unroll pie crust and press into 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Prick bottom with fork in about 5 or 6 places. Place tart pan on a foil line baking sheet.
- Spread cream cheese in the bottom with an offset spatula. Sprinkle 1/4 cup fontina cheese over the cream cheese. Arrange the tomato slices in an overlapping, circular pattern on top of cheese. Sprinkle tomatoes with garlic salt and pepper. Arrange bacon evenly over the tomatoes.
- Top with remaining fontina cheese.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Transfer to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool for 20 minutes, then carefully remove the sides of the tart pan.
- Transfer to a serving platter. If serving as an appetizer, cut into thinner pieces.
I am excited to try another tomato tart this summer, when good tomatoes are available again.