Fresh or frozen peas, new potatoes, and pearl onions cooked until tender, and served in a creamy white sauce.
Creamed Peas with New potatoes and Pearl Onions is a very old fashioned recipe that I grew up having frequently. My parents always had a big garden and grew their own fresh peas. In the winter, my mother made this with frozen peas.
My 91 year old mother-in-law passed away last year, but the month before she became ill, I made this recipe and took to her. She said she hadn’t had creamed peas for years and it held so many memories for her.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMED PEAS, NEW POTATOES, AND PEARL ONIONS:
- Clean potatoes, cut in half. Cook in water until fork tender and drain. Set aside.
- Place peas and onions in a saucepan, cover with water and cook for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Make the creamy white sauce by melting the butter, whisking in flour, salt, pepper and milk/half and half.
- Gently fold the cooked peas, potatoes and onions into the sauce. Simmer over a low heat to warm.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cooked bacon. Refrigerate any leftovers. They can be warmed over a low heat, adding a small amount of milk if the sauce is too thick.
This recipe is delicious with meatloaf or ham. Creamed Peas are an excellent side dish to serve with Easter dinner.
Another old fashioned recipe that is popular here is my
Creamed Tomatoes recipe.