Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup with flavored pie crust toppers.
A rich, creamy soup to satisfy your pot pie cravings. Loaded with chicken, veggies, seasonings, and a creamy broth. Top with pie crust cut-outs flavored with cheese and herbs. Perfect for a fall or winter day.
My family loves chicken pot pie, and we love most kinds of soup. This Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup is a delicious combination of both.
I usually serve a pan of cornbread with a pot of soup, but on this day I decided to try something different, and made these pie crust toppers. Add grated parmesan cheese and fresh parsley to the dough for great flavor. You could also add garlic salt or rosemary if desired.
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP:
- Prepare the pie crust dough first. In a small food processor, combine the butter, flour,salt, parmesan cheese, herbs. Pulse until the mixture forms pea-sized pieces. Slowly add the ice water, and pulse until a dough ball is formed. Press the dough ball into a disc shape and wrap in Saran Wrap. I even wrap mine in parchment paper first. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large dutch oven, melt the butter and olive oil together. Add the onions, potatoes, celery, and carrots. Saute about 6-7 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with the salt, pepper, and garlic. Cook another 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables, stir to coat well.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Stir in the soup, and cook over low heat until potatoes become tender.
- Stir in the chicken, peas, and heavy cream. May add yellow food coloring if desired. Continue to simmer another 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare and bake the pie crust toppers while soup is cooking. Roll out the pie dough on lightly floured surface, about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out shapes with metal rounds or desired cookie cutters. Whisk together the egg and milk, brush the shapes. Bake about 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- To serve the soup, garnish each bowl with a sprinkle of parsley and a few pie crust toppers.
This Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup is delicious on the day it is made, and becomes even more flavorful when served the next day.
This recipe was shared on Weekend Potluck @Sweet Little Bluebird.
Check this site out for more excellent recipes.
Here are some other soups that you may want to try.