In 2008 I was chosen as a finalist for the 43rd Pillsbury Bake-off Contest. I cannot even express how exciting this was and what an unforgettable experience.
My recipe was Mascarpone-Filled Cranberry Walnut Rolls. I was chosen as the winner of my category (Breakfast/Brunch) and one of the 5 finalists to win the $1,000,000 dollars! I did not win that but did receive $5000 and a new stove.
The original recipe for mascarpone filled rolls makes 10 rolls which is too many if there are only 2 people sharing it. I decided last week to make a downsized version of this.
Arrange in center of pan. Sprinkle cranberry-walnut mixture.
Invert onto a plate, sprinkle cranberries-walnuts and drizzle with glaze.
Mascarpone-Filled Cranberry Walnut Rolls
Write a review
- 1 Tablespoon sweetened dried cranberries, coarsley chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (5 count) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup confectioner sugar (may use 1/2 cup for a lot of glaze)
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 6-inch round cake pan with no stick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine the cranberries and walnuts; set aside. In another small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Separate the biscuits. Press each biscuit into a 3-inch round, make an indentation in center. Place a heaping teaspoon of mascarpone cheese on center of each biscuit; fold the edges over to cover it, then form into a ball. Slightly flatten ball.
- Roll each biscuit in the melted butter and then in the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place first biscuit in the center of pan and then arrange the other ones around it.
- Pour any remaining butter and cinnamon-sugar over the biscuits. Sprinkle half of the cranberries and walnuts over the rolls.
- Bake for 24 to 28 minutes or until biscuits are light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place a heatproof serving plate upside down over the pan. Carefully turn the plate and pan over. Let stand 1 minute, then carefully remove pan. Scrape any remaining topping onto rolls.
- Sprinkle remaining cranberries-walnuts over the rolls. In a small bowl, stir together any remaining mascarpone cheese and the confectioner sugar. Stir in milk in small amounts to obtain consistency to drizzle. Drizzle glaze over the rolls. Serve warm.
GRANDMA HONEY'S HOUSE http://grandmahoneyshouse.com/