In 2008 I was chosen as a finalist for the 43rd Pillsbury Bake-off Contest. I cannot even express how exciting this was and what an unforgettable experience. My recipe was Mascarpone Filled Cranberry Walnut Rolls.
I was chosen as the winner of my category (Breakfast/Brunch) and one of the 5 finalists to win the $1,000,000 dollars! I did not win that, but did receive $5000 and a new stove.
These rolls would be perfect to make and serve at a Mother’s Day brunch.
I have made these so many times for my family, guests, and functions in my community. They are so simple to make, and my granddaughter, that is 8 years old, makes them with me also.
These breakfast sweet rolls are always requested at the annual family New Years Day brunch.
I will include the recipe for them as well as a video that was created by Pillsbury.
- 1/4 cup sweetened dried cranberries, coarsley chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 can (5 count) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (10 total)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 8- or 9-inch round cake pan with No-Stick Cooking Spray.
- In small bowl, mix cranberries and walnuts; set aside. In another small bowl, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Separate dough into 10 biscuits; press each biscuit into 3-inch round. Place heaping 1 teaspoon of the mascarpone cheese on center of each biscuit. Bring all sides of dough up over filling, stretching gently if necessary, and gather in center above filling to form a ball; firmly pinch edges to seal. Roll each biscuit in melted butter, then roll in sugar-cinnamon mixture. Place 1 biscuit in center of pan. Arrange remaining biscuits, seam sides down and sides touching, in circle around center biscuit. Pour remaining butter over biscuits; sprinkle with remaining sugar-cinnamon mixture.
- Reserve 1/4 cup cranberry-walnut mixture; sprinkle remaining mixture over biscuits.
- Bake 28 to 33 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Place heatproof serving plate upside down on pan; carefully turn plate and pan over. Let stand 1 minute, then carefully remove pan.
- Sprinkle reserved cranberry-walnut mixture over coffee cake. In medium bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle glaze over top of rolls. Serve warm.
I created this recipe originally but Pillsbury has full rights & ownership of it.
Video link HERE to see how to make these.
Pillsbury created this video.