Sugar Plum Dreams
Sugar Plum Dreams are a soft butter cookie infused with the unique flavor of Fiori Di Sicilia extract and cooked plums, then rolled in cinnamon sugar and baked. Add a drizzle of mascarpone cheese to complete the holiday flavor combination.
Every year I try to create a new holiday cookie to add to my Christmas baking list. My inspiration for this cookie was the Night Before Christmas story and the visions of sugar plums dancing in the children’s head. I must also admit that I have never eaten plums prior to making this cookie. They have an amazing flavor and add something special to these cookies.
Several years ago I purchased the extract Fiori Di Sicilia from the King Arthur website because the description sounded delicious. HERE is the link if you would like to order it.
HOW TO MAKE SUGAR PLUM DREAMS:
Place the peeled and diced plums in a saucepan with cinnamon, sugar, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until a thickened sauce forms. Allow to cooled completely.
Prepare the cookie dough as instructed, folding in the cooled plum mixture.
After the dough is completed, form balls using a small scoop or spoon, roll them in a cinnamon sugar mixture, and bake. Cool.
After the cookies are baked and cooled, prepare the mascarpone glaze. Drizzle over the cookies and decorate with holiday sprinkles if desired.
These cookies have a unique, holiday flavor from the plums and the extract. I also tested them by freezing a dozen and they were perfect.
This recipe was shared on Week-end Potluck @Sweet Little Bluebird
Check out this site for awesome recipes!
A soft butter cookie infused with the unique flavor of Fiori Di Sicilia extract and cooked plums, rolled in cinnamon-sugar and baked. Add a drizzle of mascarpone cheese to complete the holiday flavor combination.
- 1 cup peeled and diced plums (4 or 5)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided in recipe
- 2 1/2 cups sugar, divided in recipe
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Fiori Di Sicilia
- 1/2 cup confectioner sugar
- 1 Tablespoon mascarpone cheese (may use cream cheese)
- 1-2 Tablespoons heavy cream or milk
- Christmas Sprinkles (optional)
- Peel and dice plums, place in a small saucepan. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 Tablespoons sugar, and the water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat to a simmer, and cook until mixture starts to thicken, stirring frequently. Cook about 5-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper, silpat mat, or use baking stones.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, soda, and salt: set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs and Fiori Di Sicilia; beat until smooth and well combined. Fold in the plum mixture.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture, in 3 parts, beating only until combined, scraping sides of the bowl.
- Combine the remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls, using a small scoop or spoon. Roll each ball in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and place on baking sheets. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove cookies from the oven and allow to set on pans about 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire cooling rack.
- Prepare the glaze by stirring together the confectioner sugar, mascarpone cheese and 1 Tablespoon of the cream. Add more cream as needed to obtain a consistency to drizzle. Drizzle the glaze over over the cooled cookies. Add sprinkles if desired.
- Arrange on serving platter or allow glaze to dry before storing.
These cookies freeze well also.