My Cranberry Orange Snowballs are an elegant cookie to add to your baking list.
Cranberry Orange Snowballs
This past week I began my holiday cookie baking and decided that I needed to try these cranberries in a cookie.
Frozen cranberries are perfect to use in homemade cookies. They are a beautiful, vibrant color and taste as good as they look.
For this cookie, I used Mexican Wedding Cookies as my inspiration.
I mixed up a basic dough recipe and stirred in some chopped frozen cranberries, orange zest, and pecans.
LOVE the color this added to the cookie dough.
Using a small scoop, shape into 1-inch dough balls and press down slightly. Bake until bottoms are light golden brown.
Remove to cooling rack for about 8 minutes then roll in confectioner sugar.
Cool another 15 minutes then roll in the confectioner sugar again.
Place on serving platter and zest with remaining orange.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioner sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup frozen cranberries, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons orange zest & 1 Tablespoon for garnish
- 1 cup confectioner sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mat.
- Sift flour into a medium size mixing bowl. Stir in the cinnamon, salt, and pecans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter until creamy. Add the sugar, confectioner sugar, and vanilla and beat until well combined.
- Gradually add the flour mixture in 3 parts, beating only until combined, after each addition. Stir in the cranberries and 2 Tablespoons of orange zest until well combined.
- Using a small scoop or teaspoon, shape into a I-inch ball and then flatten slightly in hands. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until bottoms are light golden brown. Allow to set on cookie sheet about 4-5 minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack for 5 minutes.
- Place remaining 1 cup of confectioner sugar in a small bowl. Roll each cookie in the bowl and return to cooling rack. When cookies are completely cool, roll each in the confectioner sugar again.
- Transfer to a serving tray and garnish with remaining orange zest. Makes 4 dozen.
- ** I place the frozen cranberries in my small food processor and pulse them to finely chop.
- ** These cookies freeze well.