This Cheesy Garden Patch Spaghetti Bake will satisfy your craving for pasta as well as help to use some of the wonderful garden vegetables available this time of year.
I created this recipe several years ago but have not made it recently. I have wonderful files filled with recipes that I created and tested. My husband and I have a standing joke about this. I make something, he tries it, and if he likes it…I file it. He is always saying to me, “why don’t you ever make that..recipe?…I really liked it…I suppose it is in a file!” This past week, I was going through my files to do some updating and ran across Cheesy Garden Patch Spaghetti Bake. That was one he liked, so I pulled it out of the files to fix for dinner.
This recipe can be very versatile. Feel free to use any combination of veggies you have available. I usually add broccoli to this but did not have it today.
Assemble your ingredients.
In a large dutch oven, heat the oil. Add onions, peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, and garlic. Sautee 6 minutes.
Remove from pan to a bowl; set aside.
Combine egg, mascarpone cheese, butter, and cheese blend in a large bowl.
Cook spaghetti as directed. Drain water.
Add spaghetti to bowl with the cheeses, egg, and butter. Stir to toss all ingredients together.
Spread 1 cup pasta sauce into baking dish.
Place spaghetti in dish.
Top with veggies.
Pour remaining pasta sauce over veggies and spaghetti. Add the jalapeno slices or olives if desired.
Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over sauce.
Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Garnish with fresh basil and tomatoes.
Cut into squares and serve warm. Serve Cheesy Garden Patch Spaghetti Bake with a salad and garlic bread to complete the meal.
This recipe was shared on Weekend Potluck @ Sweet Little Bluebird
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushroom slices
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 lb thin spaghetti
- jalapeno slices or black olives (optional)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil leaves for garnish
- cherry tomatoes halved for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven. Add the onions, peppers, mushrooms, garlic, zucchini, and broccoli. Sautee vegetables 6 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the egg, italian blend cheese, mascarpone cheese, and butter.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Break the spaghetti into half, add to the water and cook for 10 minutes. Drain water. Add spaghetti to the bowl with egg and cheese, toss to coat the spaghetti.
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce on the bottom of baking dish. Add spaghetti to dish. Top with the sautéed vegetables. Pour remaining pasta sauce over the vegetables/spaghetti. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the sauce.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.
- This recipe does not have a lot of sauce. If desired, add about another cup to amount poured over pasta, or serve additional on the side. My family likes it as the recipe calls for but some people prefer more sauce.