Here is a delicious garden fresh brunch tart that is easy to make and another great way to enjoy some fresh summer veggies.
I love to make tarts, quiche, and frittatas. The varieties are endless, and I think they are so handy because they can be made ahead of time and be warmed up when you need them. I made this garden fresh brunch tart last week-end and my husband gave it a big thumbs up.
My husband owns a drag racing car and once or twice a month the guys go to a race track for the week-end. Sometimes they do their own cooking, but most of the time they are too busy, so I send meals already prepared that they can just warm up. Breakfast is usually sausage gravy and biscuits, and a quiche. I decided to make them a variety of tarts for something a little different.
I think this would be nice to serve at a week-end brunch, tea party, or to cut in small pieces and serve as an appetizer.
Meat could easily be added to this tart and I will do that sometimes, but this one was just a variety of garden veggies.
Here are the ingredients I used, very simple.
Press refrigerated pie crust into tart pan with removable bottom.
Add potatoes, asparagus, (save tips for top) cheese, onions, and both kinds of peppers.
Whisk together the eggs, salt & pepper, half-and-half, pour over the veggies. Arrange asparagus tips.
Cool and remove from tart pan. Top with tomatoes
This is great served right from the oven, later at room temperature, or warmed up the next day. Feel free to use any variety of veggies that your family would enjoy.
- 1 (9") Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 1 Medium Potato, peeled; cut into 1/2" cubes
- 6 sm Fresh Asparagus Spears, cut in 1" pieces (may use ½ cup broccoli instead)
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Red Onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 6 Large Eggs
- 1/3 cup Half & Half
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Large Tomato, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place potatoes in a small pan,cover with water and boil until tender. Drain water. Remove pie crust from refrigerator to come to room temperature.
- Unroll pie crust and place in an ungreased 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Press crust firmly against the sides and bottom of the pan. Prick bottom crust with fork.
- Arrange the potatoes over bottom of crust. Top evenly with asparagus (broccoli),cheese, onions, and peppers. Save the asparagus tips for top of tart.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the other ingredients.
- Bake until eggs are set and crust is light golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Remove tart from the oven and let stand 5-10 minutes; remove sides from pan.
- Garnish with tomatoes. Cut into wedges and serve warm