Sharing my recipe today for a basic Pasta Meat Sauce that can be used in so many ways. The recipe makes a large amount, so it can easily be divided into containers and frozen for future use.
Pasta Meat Sauce
A thick meaty, sauce with sweet italian sausage, ground beef, onions, peppers, garlic, tomatoes, seasonings, and jarred pasta sauces.
I have used this sauce over a variety of pasta dishes such as lasagna roll-ups, spaghetti, spaghetti pie, stuffed shells, rigatoni, and pasta bakes.
HOW TO MAKE PASTA MEAT SAUCE:
- Gather the ingredients. I freeze little containers with olive oil, garlic, and basil from my herb garden at the end of each summer. I use one of these in the sauce. You can just use the amounts of these in the recipe directions.
- In a large dutch oven, heat the oil,garlic and basil. Crumble and brown the sweet italian sausage, and ground beef. Drain grease and return to pot.
- Add the onions, peppers, and seasonings. Cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes and sugar, Cook 5 minutes.
- Add the jars of pasta sauce, combine all ingredients well. Cover and simmer over low heat about an hour, stirring frequently.
Prepare pasta and use the desired amount of sauce. Leftover sauce freezes well.
Last week I made Lasagna Roll-ups and used this sauce.
HERE is the recipe for them.
**I was not compensated in any way for this post. The ingredients pictured and used are 100% my personal preference.