This delicious, hearty, beef and vegetable soup will help keep you warm on these cold, winter days we have been having.
Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup
When I was growing up, my father always made huge pots of vegetable soup that we ate on for days. This kind of soup just tastes better each day after you make it.
I kept forgetting to ask him for his recipe, although I don’t think he really had one. He just kept adding whatever vegetables we had available.
Feel free to add your favorite vegetables.
I think the secret to making this soup so hearty, and to getting the beef so tender, is to cook it slowly in stages.
Don’t add everything in the pot at once.
Begin by placing the stew meat in a large dutch oven or soup pot. Season the meat with salt and pepper, then add enough water to cover the meat. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer until it is fork tender, about 2 hours.
Next, I add the fresh veggies that take a little longer to cook. I add potatoes and carrots first. Cook about 20 minutes.
Add the celery and cabbage, cooking about 20 minutes.
Seasoning the ingredients in layers is another secret to this vegetable soup.
Stir in a can or bottle of tomato juice.
Add the canned and frozen veggies that you are using. This is where you may substitute with the ones your family likes.
Simmer the soup covered, stirring frequently, for about an hour. Allow it to cool, refrigerate, and then simmer slowly to reheat prior to serving.
HEARTY BEEF AND VEGETABLE SOUP
- 1 1/2 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup fresh carrots, thick sliced
- 2 cups white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 cup celery stalk, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 small head cabbage, chopped
- 36 oz bottle or can of tomato juice
- 1 (10 oz) bag frozen peas
- 1 (10 oz) bag frozen corn
- 2 (14oz) cans of cut green beans, drained
- 1 (8.25oz) can green baby lima beans
- (few dashes of hot sauce if desired)
- Place the stew meat in a large dutch oven or saucepan. Season with the salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until meat is fork tender. (May add small amounts of water if needed to slow cook meat.) Stir occasionally.
- Add the carrots and potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, covered. Stir frequently. Keep the water level enough to just cover the vegetables.
- Stir in the celery and cabbage. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups of the tomato juice, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the peas, corn, green beans, and lima beans to pot. Stir to combine all ingredients. Add more of the tomato juice to cover ingredients and to obtain desired thickness of broth.
- Simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Taste soup, add more salt and pepper as needed. Add hot sauce if desired.
- Soup is delicious on the day it is made but I think the flavors go together so much better if it sets a few hours or until the next day.
When my father made the Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup, he always made his homemade hot rolls.
HERE is the link to that recipe. These are a perfect addition to serve with this soup.
One thought on “HEARTY BEEF AND VEGETABLE SOUP”
Even sunny southern California is having some chilly days – at least chilly for us. We’ve been eating more soup as it is warm on the tummy and easier on the calorie intake than a hamburger! Thanks for the recipe.
Comments are closed.