Jump to recipe
Strawberry Crepes with Pastry Cream and Fresh Strawberries
These Strawberry Crepes are filled with a homemade pastry cream, fresh strawberries, topped with a delicious strawberry sauce, more strawberries and whipped cream.
This month has been strawberry season in our area, and I have been getting them every few days from our local farm stand. I have made so many desserts, smoothies, and loaded my freezer with them.
A few days ago, I was craving crepes and decided to try to make them myself. They were so delicious. My husband does not eat anything sweet, but after he tried one, he was hooked. He actually ate 3 that day.
HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE:
* Prepare the pastry cream first. Refrigerate for about 2 hours prior to using. The cream mixture will be very thick. Stir well before using.
* Make the strawberry sauce. I use a combination of frozen and fresh strawberries. It can be served warm or cold.
* Mix up the crepe batter and cook the crepes. They can be placed on a parchment lined baking sheet while you are cooking them all. The crepes can be warmed up one at a time in the microwave, then assembled, or kept warm on the lowest temperature in the oven before serving.
* To assemble, Place a crepe on a microwave safe plate. (Best side down) Warm in microwave for 15 seconds. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the pastry cream down the center. Make sure it goes from end to end. Slice 1 strawberry in thin slices and lay on the filling. Fold each half over the filling. Roll crepe and put seam on the bottom. Top with desired amount of strawberry sauce. Add fresh strawberries and top with whipped topping.
Strawberry Crepes are perfect to serve for brunch or as a dessert.
Strawberry Mascarpone Breakfast Ring
Strawberry Vanilla Cream Dessert
Strawberry Mascarpone Hazelnut Chocolate Tart are some other great recipes with fresh strawberries to try.
This recipe was shared on Weekend Potluck @Sweet Little Bluebird
STRAWBERRY CREPES WITH PASTRY CREAM AND FRESH STRAWBERRIES
- PASTRY CREAM:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or 1 teaspoon vanilla)
- pinch of salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoon unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- In a medium size saucepan, stir together the milk, 1/4 cup of sugar, vanilla and salt. Cook over a medium heat until mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, and cornstarch. Whisking constantly, drizzle in about 1/4 cup of the milk mixture. Slowly continue to drizzle in remaining amount and whisk together until well combined. Pour this mixture back into saucepan and cook over a medium heat, whisking constantly, until it starts to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add the butter and beat on medium speed with electric mixture until butter melts and mixture cools, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium size glass bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate about 1-2 hours. Stir well when ready to serve.
- Makes about 2 cups.
- STRAWBERRY SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 10 oz frozen strawberries
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, cleaned and halved
- Whisk together the sugar and cornstarch in a medium size saucepan. Whisk in the water. Add the frozen berries and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer about 7-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until it starts to thicken. I also smash the berries while cooking. Remove from heat. Drain sauce through sieve to remove berries that did not incorporate. Place into container and stir in the fresh berries. Warm prior to serving. Makes about 2 cups.
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- Place milk and butter together in a glass measuring cup and warm in microwave until butter melts.
- Add milk, egg, vanilla, sugar and salt to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the flour and blend ingredients until smooth.
- Spray an 8 or 9 inch skillet with non stick cooking spray. Heat skillet over a medium heat. Use 1/4 cup amount of the batter for each crepe. I drizzle the batter in a circle, starting at the center, to form a thin circle. You may also pour the batter in center of skillet and rotate it to make a thin, round crepe.
- Cook for about 1 minute, until top starts to look dry, flip it carefully, and cook another 30 seconds on the other side. Remove from the skillet onto a parchment lined pan, in a single layer. Makes 8 crepes
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
- Whipped topping
- TO ASSEMBLE THE CREPE:
- Place a crepe on a microwave safe plate. (Best side down) Warm in microwave for 15 seconds. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the pastry cream down the center. Make sure it goes from end to end. Slice 1 strawberry in thin slices and lay on filling. Fold each half over the filling. Roll crepe and put seam on the bottom. Top with desired amount of strawberry sauce. Add fresh strawberries and top with whipped topping.
© 2023 Copyright GRANDMA HONEY\\\\\\\'S HOUSE
Please follow and like us: